13 January 2009

December 31st and Other Platitudes

Lee was released from an 8-month bid in an English prison on December 31st, 2008. He was missing his front teeth, and bore a fresh scar just above his eyes. I understood 55% of what he was saying. What I gleaned, though, was just about all there was to tell. It was his second time in prison. Are you going back? I asked? No, he replied. Excellent, I replied, as if I were a Professor of Platitudes. I went to go see my girl, he said, but she just had a baby with another man. I told her, he continued, that it was ok, I would raise the boy as my own. I have two girls, 9 and 12. I had a job in prison, but out here, dunno. His train arrived. I said Happy New Year (Platitude, PhD). He put out his cigarette, and said, Godspeed Sahara...be well. So, that is the thing about Lee...that and of course his unknown future and fight to remain free. When I meet people, anywhere, all the time, it is at least 2 or 3 times before they remember my name, and pronounce it correctly. Lee made my day. He gave me the best gift, which as we all know, is a piece of himself, truly and without reserve.

1 comment:

Sean Cambern said...

Wow! I love the photo, but it means so much more with the narrative. The framing and the background add so much to the story.

Thanks for sharing!