13 April 2009

What We Saw (Me First, Then You) : For JJ

JJ and I went to Sunset Park this week for our first ever business meeting..."business meeting" i.e. we ate tacos and marveled at the shortcomings of the tomatillo sauce at Tacos Xochimilco. We drew up a list of places this girl could begin writing to and shooting for (hi) close to now...or graduation. Before the business meeting we walked through Sunset Park and down 5th Avenue. I realized then that walking with me and JJ is like hoping to swim laps in the ocean...not quite efficient...ambitious, but maybe fruitless / unrelated...nor do we strive to be! Anyway, between us there is a hypersensitivity to the world that delays any of our ambles anywhere...he 'discovered' food before I 'discovered' photography...but now we are both obsessed (read: PASSIONATE) people with our own FILTERS for life and our day to day...he sees a lot through food / history / tastes / words / chefs / high brow low brow / languages and I see a lot...I see a lot. Or I look a lot. Not sure which. Either way, looking proves antithetical to talking AND walking, let alone spending QT with a person AND A CAMERA...IT'S IMPOSSIBLE for me, which is why AMBLING is my favorite game and HAN SOLO is my favorite name...Anyway, it's JJ...I can talk and shoot, right? I can smell and sniff chillies with him and also take pictures, no? The lovely thing is that via our respective passions, each day holds the possibility of NEW / MORE...not in a greedy way, but in an optimistic (opportunistic?) way...i.e., every day we embrace the potential to create something (phrased most positively there).....................Long story short, no, long ramble longer: we walk down Sunset Hill (official name) and I see a white horse in the trees. I ask Jay Juh if that looks like a white horse...he says what? where? I point there! over there! He says no. I said ok, let me take a picture and we'll see if we can't make the bag turn into a little white horse. He says: "you're insane, Train." We continue on, finally settling down to our business meeting. We taste the tomatillo sauce. He says it should be fresher and tangier. I have nothing to measure this against. I am at the mercy of his word. I trust him. Is that insane?

No comments: