20 June 2011

"It is art about understanding, not about experience"

A take on the Venice Biennale, which I once overheard pronounced as "bee-enn-eey-yahllllll" at an art gallery in Chelsea..."at an art gallery in chelsea" (in kate's voice)...Anyway, it's a meta world, like I been saying. I know a poem is good if I want to sing its lines and gargle its vowels or spit its consonants, I know a song is good if I want to hear the words come out of my amateur mouth, I know a piece (TKTKTKTK) is good if it brings goosebumps to my skin, I know a photograph is good if it moves me and I feel it, not think it. It is not about 'tricking' me, or taking me for a ride, or pulling the wool over, etc. I know one can find a lot of success at that level, and that's cute, at best, but it dies right then and there, after patting itself on the back for being in on the joke. I want handsome photographs prose sketches paintings prints songs stories...meaty, hearty, juicy...like lunch, or the ones you love. Where consumption is concerned the forms may vary but my taste does not.

No comments: